Sign in to follow this  
Song

Song's Guide to Runecrafting!

Runecrafting-icon.png?1ccda A Guide to Runecrafting by Song Runecrafting-icon.png?1ccda

Runecrafting is by far one of the most profitable skills in Old School Runescape mostly due to the limitations of purchasing runes such as Astral, Death, Blood and Nature Runes which transitions usefulness to Lunar or Ancient Spells like Humidify, Fertile Soil, Barrages and even more! For Ironmen, these become more valuable in a sense of their usefulness --- more notably for the High Alchemy Spell. If you're looking for a great deal of self-sufficiency, I personally recommend working on this skill as soon as possible!

~ Table of Contents ~

1xa : Starting Off: Obtaining Rune & Pure Essences

2xa : The Grind: Crafting Runes

3xa : Hot Hot Hot: Lava Runecrafting

4xa : The Long Run: Dense & Dark Essence Block, Blood Runecrafting

5xa : Almost There: Soul Runecrafting

6xa : A Small, Yet Effective Job: Astral Runecrafting

7xa : Big Explosions: Wrath Runecrafting

The End of the Journey

MHSDhCk.png

Pure_essence.png?a3f74 [ 1xa ] Starting Off: Obtaining Rune & Pure Essences Pure_essence.png?a3f74

f0d8242b6a57db15f27294da5d846eeb.gif

There are a few ways to obtain Rune or Pure Essences for all of your Runecrafting needs, and just below, I'll explain various methods from simple mining to places to grind them out through PvM Combat! They'll be listed from easiest to hardest access. You'll require as much as your mental stability can handle to craft a decent amount of runes til Runecrafting Level 99.

Spoiler

Essence Mines

This is the easiest way to obtain Rune Essences, or Pure Essences if your Mining is 30 or above. There are a few ways to access this area: Edgeville Portal (Skilling), Aubury in Varrock, and Wizard Distentor in the Wizard's Tower south of Draynor Village which requires Magic Level 66 to use. * Fairy Code D I S to reach the Tower quickly.

Once you've entered the Essence Mines, it's best to mine the North Western Deposit due to having a nearby Deposit Box only 5 squares away ~

The Abyss

The monsters in the Abyss can also drop a decent amount Pure Essences over time. To access this area, it's best to follow North from the Edgeville Jail building into the Wilderness till you meet the Mage of Zamorak. Right click him and click on the Teleport option to enter. Another sound idea is to equip some combat gear with a bit of Defense as your full Prayer Points will be drained to 0 as you enter. While you're here, take the time to farm your Essence Pouches till you find up to a Giant Pouch!

Gargoyles - Canifis Slayer Tower, Morytania

Known for dropping the most budget PvP weapon of all time ~ The Granite Maul, they're also noted to drop a very decent amount of Pure Essences at a fixed value of 150 AND with a whooping drop rate of 1/21.33!  Use the Edgeville Home Portal to teleport here under Training, they will be on the 3rd Floor. Be sure to have Slayer Level 75 and a Rock Hammer! * Credit to Tech Noir for pointing this out!

Zulrah - Zul-Andra

The " Money Snek ", your first breakthrough on your adventures and a way to pave yourself towards the covenant Tanzanite Fang! Aside from these heavenly drops, Zulrah is also capable of dropping Pure Essences at a whooping value of 1500 at a drop rate of 1/24.9! To reach Zulrah, use the Fairy Ring Code B J S with an Agility Level 76 then head East across the stepping stones.

Corporeal Beast - The Wilderness

Bring your friends, or try to take on this monster by yourself if you have the gear and supplies for it. If you're here for any reason, it's definitely not for Pure Essences. They do, however, drop at a fixed value of 2500.

MHSDhCk.png

Giant_pouch.png?e65bf [ 2xa ] The Grind: Crafting Runes Giant_pouch.png?e65bf

07b588c954ca3d9e53cf04faed1d14ea.gif

With your pouches filled and your lightweight combat or utility gear ready to go, it's about time to cover what you should be crafting! Just to be clear, this is not just a guide towards Runecrafting Level 99, but a shedding of light of what you should be crafting for yourself and the market to lessen the boredom. Below is a list of what I think you should be crafting and is of high value. For Ironman+, craft whatever you need at the time and simply skip the section since nearly all runes are practically valuable to you if you want.

Spoiler

Runecrafting ~ Where to do it?

The Abyss is the centerfold of all of your Runecrafting Transportation, a hub of sorts. Though it is in the Wilderness, you have a VERY slim chance of someone making attempts to taking you down --- unless someone has a personal vendetta towards you. Aside from that, it's best to bring Thieving Level 99 or Firemaking Level 60+ to enter the inner center hub quickly. If you do not possess any of the two skills, bring a Pickaxe, a Woodcutting Axe, or a few levels of Agility to get inside. Once inside, you'll be able to go to any Altar of your choosing ( Excluding Wrath and Astral Altar ) without a need of a Talisman.

Air_rune.png?b3a44 Air Runes - Get to 23 Runecrafting!

This should be the first thing you start on. Craft these til 23, then you can diverse into larger options.

Earth_rune.png?45ae5 Earth Runes - You'll need a lot of these!

Implying that you'll be getting into Lava Runes, you'll probably need a lot of this for a quick way to Runecrafting Level 99. These can be crafted at Level 9.

Fire_rune.png?45ae5 Fire Runes - You'll need a lot of these too if you don't like crafting Earth Runes!

Ironmen will probably find these highly valuable for most offensive spells as well as Normal Players. In Runecrafting alone, they're also staple to making Lava Runes if you prefer these over Earth Runes. Outside, they're useful for practically everything. Utility Spells, Offensive Spells, you name it. This is the bread and butter of your Spellbooks. They require Level 14 to craft.

Nature_rune.png?55b11 Nature Runes - Superheat! High Alchemy! EVERYTHING!

Probably the 2nd most valuable rune here on the list. Everyone wants this, everyone needs it including you and I. If you're looking for profit, craft these! 

Law_rune.png?c7ef5 Law Runes - Teleport! TELEPORT! TELEPORT!

Not exactly valuable but people like to have them for spamming Teleports in combination of High Alchemy to train Magic. This is also valuable for Telekinetic Grab.

Blood_rune.png?9dc50 Blood Runes - Barrages everywhere. Have more Ruby Bolts.

This is the most valuable rune to craft. It contributes to enchanting Ruby Bolts and more importantly... Barraging. PKers will definitely buy these off of you if they need to.

Death_rune.png?090cd Death Runes - Ugh, more death.

In my opinion, they have less value than Blood Runes but they definitely hold a place of their own. They're used in high tier spells and barraging, let alone a necessary source for charging staves such as Trident of the Seas and Swamp.

Astral_rune.png?b3a44 Astral Runes - Stop buying out Baby Yaga!

If you're into your Production Skills, Astral Runes are your friends. You'll need these for practically all sorts of Production such as creating Molten Glass on the spot or curing your dying plants. Maybe in the future, turning your Clay to Soft Clay with the Humidify Spell so you can make Teleport Tablets at your POH.

Lava_rune.png?b2713 Lava Runes - Waaayyy too many.

They're usually worthless, but they're your stepping stone to 99. Enjoy. ❤️

MHSDhCk.png

Lava_rune.png?b2713 [ 3xa ] Hot Hot Hot: Lava Runecrafting Lava_rune.png?b2713

09aa6583d024353156aed257376ddfe2.gif

** Credit to Jett & Chop for suggesting to add this section.

Lava Runes themselves don't have much particular use. In fact, they are useless in terms of Magic until you've run out of Fire or Earth Runes. However, crafting them does make it the fastest XP per hour! So if you're just aiming to zip right through Runecrafting, then craft these. They require Runecrafting Level 23 to create!

How to Craft Lava Runes

Spoiler

0fd91b15412c08c9f38a819b83e846dc.gif

If you're running through the Abyss, the only thing you need are Earth Runes and a Earth Talisman. A Binding Necklace can be brought, but not entirely necessary unless you really want to keep your Lava Runes. Enchant an Emerald Necklace or kill Abyssal Monsters in the Abyss to find them a as drop. If your Magic is high enough, you can also cast the Magic Imbue spell to negate the use of a Talisman for Combination Crafting. Stock your pouches and your inventory with Essences. Once you're here, use the Earth Talisman on the Fire Altar to craft Lava Runes.

87eca5ed28db4a16745ecaaddac1ec7c.gif

If you have worked on your Crafting and Smithing then managed to get an Emerald, unlike me ( . . . ), you can turn it into an Emerald Ring and enchant it into a Ring of Dueling. The teleport is more direct to the Fire Altar and is a lot quicker than taking the Abyss Route.

MHSDhCk.png

Dark_essence_block.png?ac388 [ 4xa ] The Long Run: Dense & Dark Essence Block, Blood Runecrafting Dark_essence_block.png?ac388

91acb91c0018fd3c9c53d29845db6543.gif

Due to the long, multi-step process that is required to make Blood_rune.png?9dc50Blood Runes, this is mostly why this particular rune is the most valuable of them all. First off, it requires BOTH Mining and Crafting Level 38. Second, it requires having both a Pickaxe and a Chisel in your inventory in order to mine Dense Essence Block. It is ENTIRELY recommended to bring a Graceful Set for continuous runs. Once you have met these prerequisites, you're set to make your own Blood Runes! Your first step to get to Arceeus, this can be done by taking the Fairy Ring with the Code C I S ~

Spoiler

Once you've reached Arceeus through the Fairy Ring, run Northeast until you've hit a crossroad not too far away from your entry point. Going further East directly will lead to the Dark Altar, which is required to turn Dense Block Essence into Dark Block Essence. Going South at the crossroad should lead up a hill as shown below.

5729a77ffb7ab18d757a1f7959cfc827.gif

Continue to follow the path going East once you've ran uphill. Along the path, you'll find it leading down towards the Blood Altar where you can craft your Blood Runes and an Agility Shortcut that leads to the Dense Essence Mines. Take the shortcut and it'll lead you directly to it and gather an inventory worth of Dense Essence Blocks.

8c321cd9d907fea334b39c1790b57561.gif

Once you have an Inventory full of Dense Essence Block, run past the Agility Shortcut that you came from and follow the path uphill towards the SECOND Agility Shortcut. Take the shortcut and follow the path downhill towards the West and you'll soon run into the Dark Altar. From here, you can click on the Altar and turn your Dense Block Essences into Dark Block Essences. After doing so, you can do a few things from here. Bank your Dark Essence Blocks or use your Chisel and turn them into Dark Essence Fragments. Be warned that once you've converted them into Fragments, you cannot bank them! You can either drop them or immediately go to the Blood Altar and convert them.

* Note that you can only have up to 111 Dark Essence Fragments at a time.

e3a60c1a874c0b82158599330c9299d8.gif

If you do decide to bank your Dark Essence Blocks and craft your Blood Runes later, then it is recommended that you use the Abyss to return to the altar.

MHSDhCk.png

Soul_rune.png?6941a [ 5xa ] Almost There: Soul Runecrafting Soul_rune.png?6941a

efcde0b973672d28359dbdd564f933d4.gif

Soul Runes require Runecrafting Level 90 to create and it's a huge step forward from Blood Runes. Much like Blood Runes though, they require the same method to create them via Dark Essence Fragments and running to the Soul Altar. Since obtaining Dark Essence Fragments was covered in the previous section, I'll only cover on how to get there on foot if not banking and taking the Abyss Route.

Spoiler

Starting from the Eastern side of the Dark Altar with your camera facing North, take the furthest Northeastern route as shown below.

bff7dbe33136ab7ba7ffb5bc0a9241a1.gif

Follow this lengthy route and eventually you'll run into the Soul Altar. It's as easy as that. Follow the hill back down to reach an Agility Shortcut to take you back towards the Dense Mines if you plan to stay without banking.

MHSDhCk.png

Astral_rune.png?b3a44 [ 6xa ] A Small, Yet Effective Job: Astral Runecrafting Astral_rune.png?b3a44

0592a67f57ec851e40a97a8db46e06fa.gif

Astral Runes are worth a little bit of gold, but nothing comparable to Blood Runes, Death Runes or Nature Runes. Despite all of that, they do have their important uses such as being a staple supply for Vengeance when trying to dish out fast damage which results to longer trips. Above that, they're also used for utility spells like Supermake Glass, Fertile Soil, Tan Leather, String Jewelry and more! I suggest making these if you want to optimize your trips or production skills.

Unlike other Altars and much like the Wrath Altar, they do not have their place in the Abyss and so you have to run there yourself. Just below, I'll guide you to reaching the Astral Altar. Your first step is to take a teleport to Lunar Isle.  You can get here by using the Lunar Spellbook Spell: Moonclan Teleport or simply take the Zenyte Portal, scroll down to Miscellaneous and click on Lunar Isle. 

Spoiler

Once there, you should be by the bank and the front gate to the East in Lunar Isle. If you haven't stocked your inventory with your essences and pouches, do so now. Once done, leave through the front gate and run immediately Southeast til you encounter a small river and a bridge.

c63575973f1b9a049c7ea19319e1dcd7.gif

Immediately head East and you'll soon find yourself at the Astral Altar by the Oneiromancer. For optimal and continuous runs, I suggest using the Moonclan Teleport Spell and wearing a Graceful Set.

MHSDhCk.png

Wrath_rune.png?3a737 [ 7xa ] Big Explosions: Wrath Runecrafting Wrath_rune.png?3a737

23f0a667bb209478e931a1a4cae06506.gif

Spoiler

Wrath Runes allow high level magic users to cast the strongest offensive spells in the Standard Spellbook, namely Surges. These runes, compared to everything else, are actually the most expensive runes and will definitely give you the most profit. The problem with this is that it requires Runecrafting Level 95, so you won't be crafting this anytime soon. Not only that, it's a dangerous walk to the altar and you'll require a Wrath Talisman dropped from very specific dragons of the sorts. If you have the illustrious Runecrafting Cape, then you can bypass the Talisman with your cape.

To get here, you'll simply just need to teleport to Corsair Caves Dungeon and run south till you see a hole in the wall. Bring a Anti-fire Shield and put up Protect from Magic.

MHSDhCk.png

120px-Runecraft_cape_detail.png?f9599

Runecrafting-icon.png?1ccda The End of the Journey Runecrafting-icon.png?1ccda

b667283a3bb70d429da74279a8f38a42.gif

Spoiler

Whether you're a Normal Player or an Ultimate Ironman, a 50x / 25x or a 5x, the journey to Runecrafting Level 99 is long and arduous. Tedious and absolutely mind numbing at times. If you have made it to the end, then stand up and give yourself a pat on the back --- you've just overcame one of the most longest journeys in Old School Runescape, but on Zenyte instead. Nonetheless, it's no easy task for anyone without the patience. So be proud that you've earned this illustrious Runecrafting Cape! Because you've worked so hard to get to this point, I'll even share my moment to 99 with you!

426e59707d91303c0361c17f5cc94e3c.gif

Rainbow_partyhat.png?86fe5 Congratulations ! Rainbow_partyhat.png?86fe5

MHSDhCk.png

Edited by 1945
  • Like 13

Chrysaor_djeeta_sprite.png

RWAQ0Pe.png

Great guide!

Covers everything you need to know about runecrafting!

Edited by Jhms

Much better than mine. Way to go 👍

hURyikz.png

"I'd die without you. Who else is gonna put up with me this way?

I need you. I breathe you. I'd never leave you. I was alone with you..." - Lana Del Rey

Wow, love the attention to detail. Absolutely amazing guide.

• Like 1

Wow, first have to say gratz on 99 rc my friend^^

It really shines out how much work you putting into this guide, it looks good it easy to understand and find the info you need.

Would love to see more guides like this!

• Like 1

This was helpful, I need to get runecrafting myself =/

thank you!

It's weird to see that the same methods on OSRS are also the best methods on here. I guess that just proves the amount of developing that went into the server. Nice guide. It is easy on the eyes while also being extremely detailed. I hope to see more guides from you to be honest.

Brilliant guide. Surprised to of have missed this at the time of posting, was only aware of there being 1 RC guide but I'll be sure to reference this guide to players in need as it's superbly written/detailed. 

INaJUx7.gif