Krigeris

Suggesting a Minnow buff

On osrs minnows were released as a method to get sharks faster than actually fishing sharks. However, on here the collection rate for resources is buffed (trees, fish, etc all collect faster). This actually makes minnows not as good in many instances as plain fishing the sharks thus making minnows nearly obsolete.

I did some testing, (See attachment) I compared how long it took to get 27 sharks, and then 1080 minnows (same amount worth for sharks). I tested it at level 82 on my ironman, and level 99 on my main to get a feel for both the highest and lowest levels. I found that at level 82, minnows get sharks 30% slower than fishing sharks outright. At level 99 minnows are only 16% faster than fishing sharks, highly not worth the amount of focus they take compared to fishing sharks and nowhere near the hourly increase of sharks as osrs.

Suggestion: As with many other things being buffed on the server (runes being doubled, cannon balls being doubled) I think that minnows fished could do with a 50-75% increase.
A 50% increase would make minnows 6% faster than sharks at 82, and 75% faster at 99.
A 75% increase would make minnows 24% faster than sharks at 82, and about twice as fast at 99.

Either one would make minnows viable. As it stands, they really aren't worth doing even with it 16% faster sharks at 99.

2020-09-14 13_10_18 - LibreOffice Calc.png

• Like 2

Given that lobsters are faster then they should be at the moment I am sure this has been looked into. I like the suggestion however! 😄

I think resource collection is fine, its just buffed from rs, lobsters are faster, sharks, magic trees. As long as everything is faster, it makes sense that you'd be able to power fish lobs instead of trout/salmon, or power mine coal/gold instead of iron. I don't think it needs to be "fixed" as resource collecting on rs has always been unrewardingly slow compared to killing mobs for resources, and the current way it is make it slightly worthwhile to skill for them.

30 minutes ago, Krigeris said:

I think resource collection is fine, its just buffed from rs, lobsters are faster, sharks, magic trees. As long as everything is faster, it makes sense that you'd be able to power fish lobs instead of trout/salmon, or power mine coal/gold instead of iron. I don't think it needs to be "fixed" as resource collecting on rs has always been unrewardingly slow compared to killing mobs for resources, and the current way it is make it slightly worthwhile to skill for them.

I'm open to the idea honestly. I don't see it hurting the game.

Yes & Yaaasss, I wouldn't say no to a buff since they're pretty relitively slow 

Big fan of the effort you put into the research of this, a decent suggestion.

As a skiller, I do think it's weird that lobsters are the best exp in the game also. Sharks/minnows should be much better imo.

I have went ahead and reviewed your table, and looked into some of our current skilling options we have server side and I believe you may be correct that minnows should be indeed boosted similar to other resource gathering methods. I will forward this to the Development Team, thank you.  Reference: #1303